J&K Waqf Board enhances remuneration of Imams, Khateebs, Muazzins by 30%, at Waqf administered Shrines, Mosques, & Darasgahs.
Other Welfare Measures also announced in an attempt to restore their status & dignity.
In a significant development, the Jammu & Kashmir Waqf Board, headed by Hon’ble Chairperson, Dr. Syed Darakhshan Andrabi, has announced a major hike of 30% to the remuneration of Imams, Khateebs & Muazziins who are performing their duties on Shrines & Mosques directly administered by J&K Waqf Board. The decision in this regard was taken today after a meeting of Imams & Khateebs was chaired by Dr Darakhshan Andrabi, in the Conference Hall of Waqf at Sonwar Srinagar.
In another major development, Chairperson Waqf Board also announced that J&K Waqf Board shall be providing adequate accommodation facilities to the Imams & Khateebs who are posted at places far off from their home. Some other major initiatives taken in this direction are:
1. Relief Assistance of up to One Lac Rupees in case of Natural Calamity leading to house damage, disease/accidents requiring hospitalisation.
2. Provision of Library Facilities for Imams & Khateebs where religious literature shall be made available, so that they shall not have to purchase it at their level.
3. J&K Waqf Board shall be bearing the cost of Electricity & Water bills of their accommodations.
4. Contrary to the past practice, no Imam, Khateeb, or Muazzin shall be removed from his position on the complaint of locals, unless charges are proved after proper enquiry.
5. As demanded by the Imams & Khateebs J&K Waqf Board shall be organising frequent Training Programmes by roping in well known religious scholars.
6. Bringing an end to the past practice, they shall be entitled to remuneration during the Leave Period as well. Pertinently, they were not being paid for the Leave Period.
7. A Committee shall be constituted, that shall have two members from amongst Imams & Khateebs, to look into the issues of rationalisation & transfers.
8. Imams & Khateebs shall have to be consulted by the Administrators of Shrines & Mosques in decisions regarding religious activities.
Further, the Imams & Khateebs were requested to organise Nazool-e-Quraan Conferences & other conferences on Special occasions. It was also impressed upon all the Khateebs to ensure strict adherence to the timings as are publicised for the information of general public.
The decisions have been taken in line with the reformative agenda initiated by the J&K Waqf Board with the intention of restoring the status & dignity of Imams & Khateebs as envisaged through the teaching of Quran-o-Hadees.